Press Release on the Announcement of Job Losses at HCL

11 Sep 2018

Dublin, Tuesday, 11 September 2018 - Commenting this afternoon on the announcement from HCL that it is changing its contractual arrangements with eir for the provision of customer care, sales and technical support services which is expected to have far reaching implications for job numbers at the company (HCL), CWU General Secretary Steve Fitzpatrick said:

 

“The approach of eir’s new owners to ‘in-source’ a range of activities and services across the business has been widely reported in the media. However, the failure of both HCL and eir to be upfront with workers on the future of their jobs, the numbers affected, the terms they propose for exit packages, timelines, and what other arrangements they are making to provide these services, is unacceptable. Workers have endured months of anxiety and distress at the speculation of significant job losses without any formal communication from either company.”

 

Mr. Fitzpatrick said: “The future for the workers and their families at HCL has now been thrown into chaos. Today’s announcement and the tactics displayed by both companies show a complete disregard and lack of respect for the loyalty of workers and the dedication they have shown to eir and HCL.”

 

Mr. Fitzpatrick confirmed that a meeting of the CWU’s National Executive Council last week pre-emptively approved the holding of a ballot among its members if rights of members at HCL are adversely affected by future announcements of redundancies. This ballot would be for industrial action, up to and including strike.

 

Mr. Fitzpatrick called for immediate talks with both companies on the details of redundancies and the specific arrangements they are making to fulfil these roles internally in eir.

 

Ends